Best Selling items on Amazon in 2020, and how to find themposted on 10/Tue/03/2020 11:32
Creating a listing on Amazon is easy. Making a profit from your listings is another matter! To be honest, it's a tough job, but with the help of our guide and the tool we are going to introduce to you, there is a good chance that you could make some real profit! This guide aims to be the first step you should take on your way to success, but there are no guarantees. When it comes to selling stuff on Amazon, there are many things you should consider when you are looking for a niche. In the next section, we are going to provide some general guidelines about how to find the product you could easily source and then resell on Amazon for a profit!
Why some products become bestsellers on Amazon?
How is it possible that some simple items become so popular that they make the best seller's place so firm, nothing could take it from them? Well, the answer is simple: they serve their purpose, and they work. As you are going to see below, there are products that help the everyday needs of ordinary folks, and people tend to buy new ones regularly. This is the reason why accessories like mats, mugs, pet-related items are so popular and sell so nicely.
The ten most sold items on Amazon (as of February 2020)
When compiling this list, we took into consideration the following attributes:
- Sourcing : we chose items that you can source from many wholesalers (or from China).
- Branding : in some cases, there are products that have their brands, but in several instances, you could even put your own logo on them.
- Use : as we've already stated, products that fulfill everyday needs, help with the daily chores are usually the best selling products.
- Weight and package : as a beginner, you need to lower your expenses; thus, you need lightweight, smaller products, so packing and shipping won't be so expensive.
- Excluded products : selling electronics and large items are for the big fishes, you shouldn't aim for those. Easy packaging, cheap shipping is what saves you money and adds to your profit.
After this, let's take a look at the top-selling Amazon products of early 2020. We are going to go in this order: five items from health and beauty, five items from the toys category. The reasons for the choices are easy to understand, and apart from the ones above, these were the primary consideration: most Amazon users (especially in the US) are women, and they like to browse and buy cheap (but also good quality) beauty products. Children still play games, and they'll continue to, while kitchen and garden accessories are always in demand!
The top 5 best selling products on Amazon in the Health and Beauty category
Due to recent events, the markets have shifted a lot towards antibacterial soaps and wipes. Since we would like to provide you with a guide for more "normal" times and markets, we excluded these items, because, as you can see below, the first six bestsellers are soaps and wipes. In fact, the 17th item is the first, not an antibacterial thing in the best sellers list. Also, for your own safety, we don't consider creams and liquids nor electronics.
- Colossal Foot Rasp: this item is one you'll find in almost every household in the world. This best selling product has a low price, and it's easy to source from the US and from other sources around the globe. If you leave handling and delivering to Amazon, you might find it much more profitable, and in case you find a good source, you might even sell it under your label, your own brand.
- Baby Foot Original Exfoliating Foot Peel: Another popular foot-related product. And why is it among the top sellers? Because everyone wants to have soft food, especially those who walk or stand all day and have rhino-like skin down there. Since the box is really lightweight, it wouldn't be too expensive to ship these peels to your buyers. But with FBA, you don't need to worry about it.
- Nail Files and Buffer: Nail files and buffers are one of those we can't get enough of. In this case, they are better sold in large packages (e.g., 12 pcs per pack). The nail files are light, small items that are very easy to pack and ship. Sourcing these is a piece of cake, and if you are lucky, you can brand them yourself.
- essence - Lash Princess False Lash Effect Mascara: this mascara is an excellent addition to your products' list, especially if you are planning on running a health and beauty Amazon business. It's a small, somewhat known brand. However, if you don't want to sell other brands' items, you can get your own labeled mascaras or other accessories. You just have to find a good source - one that complies with health and safety regulations.
- Silk Touch-Up Exfoliating Dermaplaning Tool: this razor is popular among women, as it's small, lightweight and sharp. This one is branded as Schick, but you might look for another brand too. In case you have your own brand, you could find a wholesale retailer who sells non-branded eyebrow razors, and put your labels on them.
Summary : as you can see, the top five items you could profit from are quite different. The beauty of the beauty industry is that there is a wide range of concerned areas from head to toe. There are some products which we haven't talked about yet: make-up, creams, lotions, and serums. The reason for this is that there are risks (fake results, no real laboratory tests, unrealistic claims, and way too low agents) involved in them, and only professionals should sell them, or you should stick to the big brands.
The top 5 toys on Amazon (February 2020)
The first rule of selling toys is this: forget the big brands! No Hasbro, no Patel, no Lego, or other big shots. Why? Because you can't compete with them, nor with Amazon itself! So, how did we gather the five top-selling products? It's simple: we choose items that could be sourced from wholesalers with or without branding. When sourcing toys, you have to consider the size of the package: what's best for you - small packages or bigger ones? Take a look at the different shipping options, and also calculate whether Amazon FBA would be better or not. Toys sell well all year, but during the fourth quarter, there is a usually bigger rush in sales, so you should keep a close eye on your inventory.
- Connect 4 Game: this game is popular with kids, it's meant usually for the children over 4. We have done some research, and similar games are available for a very low stock price, so it's a good choice since it's easily obtainable from wholesale retailers. The rules of this game are very straightforward: the players have to connect four discs of the same color in order to win. This simplicity makes it really popular among kids and adults alike.
- Big blocks building bag: this is a type of game that always sells on Amazon and at other marketplaces. The building blocks are fascinating toys for children, especially if there are different shapes, sizes, and colors. We recommend that if you would like to sell building blocks, try to source bigger bags or boxes with a few dozen blocks in them. Also - and this is very important - you have check if the toys are made from non-toxic plastic.
- Plastic pit balls: on the Best Sellers' list of the Toys category at Amazon, this item is only the 22nd, yet it sells quite well. It's recommended to sell it if you have a pit kit for this, so the parents can buy the whole set at once. Since we're talking about plastic, you have to ensure that your sources use BPA and Lead-free, non-PVC material. You don't want to sell items that could impact a child's health.
- Colorful Counting Bears - or other colored plastic figures: it seems that the Montessori-based games are really trendy today, and these small plastic bears are quite easy to obtain and label - if needed. In most cases, the bears come in at least six colors, with six cups to sort them. This game helps to develop the kids' counting skills and offers a nice way to learn colors too.
- Jenga: Jenga is an all-time favorite game, and it has its place in almost every bestseller list. Our recommendation for you is to try and get some good sources that offer you real wood Jenga games. Apart from the normal Jenga game, you might want to check the big Jenga sets too, because you might even cover the outdoor fun niche too. This game is good for all ages, and it's rather easy to manufacture and label.
How to choose top selling items on Amazon for Amazon FBA
In the next section, you can read about how you could find the best products to sell by taking advantage of the benefits Amazon FBA offers. You've probably known what you need about Fulfillment by Amazon, but if not, let us summarize: Fulfillment By Amazon is sellers' program at Amazon, that allows them to send their products to an Amazon Fulfillment Center, where AMZ stores, packs, and ships those when an order comes. This takes the trouble of storage and shipping off the shoulder of sellers. Due to the fact that there are predictable fees, selling your goods with FBA is a profitable way to run a business.
And now, let's find out how you can find the best products to sell if you use Amazon FBA to fulfill your orders.
The FBA model by itself is quite good and has great scalability you could benefit from, but not everything is going to sell well or generate a profit. The first thing you have to learn is how to calculate the fees and heed the guidelines to comply with them. Also, this is the first lesson: you have to find a product that meets the guidelines and bring some profit after deducting the FBA fees. The following short guide will bring some matters to light, so you know what to consider when you try to find a good product for FBA.
Product value - Go for the higher values, but stay reasonable
Picking a profitable product is very important, yet you have to consider something else when you search for the perfect goods: what happens when the product is returned, or worse: it's damaged? It matters whether you sell something for $500, that costs you - let's say $350 with FBA fees - and it returned broken. First, you have to pay the customer the $500, and if the item is unsellable, you are short of $350, as Amazon won't pay back FBA fees either.
As most FBA guides emphasize, the ideal product value is in the low areas, somewhere between $10 and $100, and you have to choose a product that grants at least 50% of its price as a profit. For example, you should pick a $50 product that brings you $25 profit after deducting every fee. It helps you to avoid going bankrupt when customers return products damaged.
Ride the impulses
When you browse in a store or you browse Best Sellers at Amazon, you probably feel the urge to buy something. This drive, this impulse is what you need to take advantage of when you pick a product. For impulse buyers, usually, $100 is the upper limit. When something costs a hundred dollars, most buyers tend to check the product, the company, and the seller - and the worst of all: they start to think about buying it or not! You need to make them buy the product, and it's only possible if you keep your product price under $100 - or better, under $50. Everything under $50 sells, because those who buy from impulse buyers can justify spending that much on an item, and that's good for your business.
Try to find a product that's small
Size matters when it comes to selling goods through the FBA program. Since the whole fee structure is based on item size. The bigger your product is, the more storage and other fees you have to pay to Amazon. In order to get the most profit, you must try to sell items which are light and small.
Product bestseller ranks
Amazon's best seller rank is one of the best tools to find out what sells well. This data shows how well a product sells in its category. Now, there is a generic rule for this: check out what's in the top 5000, and pick an easily sourceable, light item you could brand if you want to. You will find several tools to help you with this (we are going to show you how to use IOScout in the next section), and you should really try. Why? Because those top 5000 products sell several times a day, and that's what you need.
Don't try to sell branded items
It's true that tech items, gadgets sell well, but you shouldn't try to enter the market selling Apple products. Amazon wouldn't let you do it anyway. There are numerous restricted brands on Amazon, and you shouldn't really aim for them. If you are an authorized seller, of course, you can list those items, but if not, Amazon is going to kick you in, you know where. Large brands for small fishes are not profitable, selling fakes is even worse.
Using IOScout to find the top-selling amazon products
What is IOScout?
IOScout is an online tool for finding a product, track its ranking, price changes, and it provides valuable information about the given products. There are four major apps included with IOScout:
- A product research page
- Product tracker
- Amazon FBA calculator
- Chrome plugin
Finding products using IOScout web app
Let's start with the most evident solution for finding products with IOScout, the web app. Here is a short background story - imagine you are the seller: we are planning to sell toys, and we would like to use Amazon FBA for convenience.
After setting up your IOScout account, you'll see the product research page:
As you can see, there are dozens of filtering options. The most important ones are:
- Parameters, e.g., price, rating, reviews, rank, sales, sellers total, etc.
- Titel: ASIN, brand title - you can exclude keywords too
- Type: Fulfillment By Amazon, Fulfillment By Merchant, Amazon (sold by Amazon)
- Advanced options: Without BuyBox, Out of Stock, Unique products
- First available.
From these filters, we are going to use the category selection, and the parameters feature and set the type to FBA. Considering the advice from above, we will set the price for $20-$100, search for products in the 5,000-10,000 ranks. Let's see the results!
As you can see, there are more than 358 results, which is quite a lot. Especially if you consider we are talking about toys here. We should narrow down the search by weight - 1 - 1.5 lbs. This lowers the number of results to only 58 items. So, what do we have here? Lightweight, somewhat easy to source toys, ranking under 10,000, with only a few sellers. Our next step should be to apply a filter for sellers, so we can eliminate any heavily competitive items (sellers number set to 1-5), and so we have only 42 results.
It is still a lot, and this is where we have to eliminate products we can't profit from, e.g., big products that add a lot to our Amazon FBA storage fees. As you can see on the screenshot, the first two items are branded huge teddy bears. That's not for us for several reasons: it' huge (although it's only 1 lb), you have to be very thorough as to where to source it form (had to be skin-friendly, hypoallergenic, etc.). Stuffed toys are just not the way to go.
Board games are out of the question: even you get your hands on cheap knock-offs, you just ruin your reputation with those. And you just can't compete with large companies like Hasbro.
The first considerable item is the 2-pack wooden bow and arrows for outdoor playing.
As you can see, there is only one seller for this, and it ranks under 7,000. At this time, it's Amazon's Choice for kids' arrows and bows too. When you check the wholesalers out there, you might find that sourcing this product is quite easy and cheap: you can grab a kit of a bow and four arrows for as low as $1.50, and your overall cost per kit is about $10. With the FBA calculator, we added the $10 as other costs (but this includes postage, price, and others). At the current price, the profit margin is 27%, and the net profit is $8.91. If you sell one each day, you make a profit of $267 per month, only with this product. You could, however, increase the price, so you have more profit, but the sales might come slower.
You can, of course, use the IOScout with more settings, we think it's a great tool to give you an idea about what kind of products should you choose!
At the end of the day, all Amazon sellers try to get the most profit, and they always long for success. Finding profitable products, successful and volatile niches is the most important thing you have to learn. We hope that this guide gave you the idea as to how to find the best selling products, and how to start thinking if you would like to set your foot in the Amazon FBA business.
The tool we showed is called IOScout, and as you may have seen, it's a handy little app that would prove to be an invaluable help in finding your niche and dream products! Try it out sometimes!